Keep water in the landscape – don’t let it leave your yard
- Use rain gardens, swales, and berms to catch and filter stormwater runoff.
- Create swales or terracing to catch, hold and filter stormwater.
- Use porous surfaces for walkways, patios, and driveways to allow water to percolate back into the ground.
- Direct downspouts and gutters into landscaped areas or pervious surfaces.
- Plant groundcovers in erosion prone areas.
- Direct irrigation to plants, not streets or sidewalks.
- Install a cistern, rain barrel or other water harvesting device (if permitted by HOA) with proper mosquito prevention techniques in place.
- Clean up pollutants such as pet waste and car oils and blow grass clippings back onto the lawn so that they do not end up in storm drains.
- Do not direct reclaimed or harvested irrigation to edible gardens.